Preah Vihear – PLCN Attends District-Level Meeting with Officials
October 18, 2013 | Posted in: News
On October 13, a meeting was held in the Chey Saen district office initiated by the district governor with 10 participants (two women), including community network members and CPN/CDPS, three PLCN representatives, one forest activist, three staff members from Ponlork Khmer, a community based organization, and the district governor and deputy governors. The goal was to discuss cooperating in the fight against illegal logging and wood timber craft factories that are negatively impacting Prey Lang. The meeting resulted in the following plans:
- Conducting a series of joint forest patrols in cooperation with local authorities to look for forest crimes in the community forests of Klong, Trapeang Sa’Ang, and Krawan;
- Announced the decision by the district office to shut down timber craft factories;
- Raise awareness on illegal logging and forest clearance;
- Hold an advocacy campaign in Prey Lang for one week a month in October, November and December that around 300 community members are expected to attend. PLCN representatives Pok Hong, Seng Ngoeun, and Tom Soeut based in Preah Vihear will lead the campaign while CSOs are also welcomed to join. The district authorities requested support from PLCN and the community should they face problems due to their position in favor of forest protection;
- Destroy any material (such as chainsaws or timber) confiscated during forest patrols.